Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Postural Awareness

Postural Awareness

Being a chiropractor, I talk to my patients all the time about the ill effects of bad posture.  Poor posture can lie at the root cause of headache problems, neck pain, back pain, etc. 

Oddly enough, whenever I think about my posture I find that I need to correct something.  I will either find my upper back slumped forward, my head extended out in front of my body, my lower back rounded forward or my shoulders rolled forward. 

Posture is difficult to maintain.  I would guess that probably half of my patients end up in my office because of some injury, old or new, that is further aggravated by postural stress.  Eliminate postural stress and many cases of neck pain and back pain would be eliminated as well. 

One of the problems that we encounter with posture is that our awareness of our posture declines as we focus on other duties.  Posture is especially difficult to maintain when we are seated in front of our computers.  Our natural response toward any type of work that we perform is to lean into it.  Getting close to our work helps us focus.  Unfortunately, getting close to our work in this way instigates poor posture and the resulting stress can cause a number of different aches and pains.

Poor posture has become habit among most of us.  The only way to improve your posture is to become aware of your bad posture and practice maintaining good posture.  Sounds simple but it takes self awareness and plenty of dedication.


Writers Bio

Dr. Steven R. Jones is a licensed Chiropractor in the state of California. He received his doctorate from Palmer College of Chiropractic-West in Sunnyvale, California. Dr. Jones has treated his patients for over 15 years at his own San Diego Chiropractic practice.

Dr. Jones is accepting new patients and would be happy to consult with you regarding your chiropractic needs.

Call Steve Jones at

(619) 280 0554

San Diego Chiropractic


Ergonomic Office Equipment Website to learn more about or Buy Ergo Nav, the Ergonomic Mouse Pad
or Visit Ergonomic Blog, "Ergonomically Yours" And read the latest News in the Ergonomic World.

Better Health Steve Jones